This Fixate recipe is a huge favorite in our family. Fraser likes his in a whole wheat wrap mostly because it's easier for his tiny hands to manage; while the rest of us enjoy ours in lettuce wraps!
The great thing about the Fixate Cookbook is that many of the recipes refer to other recipes within the book so you can make a meal plan around prepping an item like tomato sauce and use it for a few recipes through the week.
|Both boys started out with lettuce wraps but Frasers|
changed to a whole wheat wrap after a couple spills.
This Mexican Taco Meat recipe is used for a few recipes the the cook book gives you a few suggestions on how you can use it and what container counts you would use. Tonight we added black beans and corn to it and then topped it with a sprinkle of shredded white cheddar then added it on top lettuce wraps. We all love it this was but I would also love it over some Zoodles or a bed of brown rice, I just love the freshness of the lettuce wrap.
FIXATE Mexican Taco Meat
Serves: 4 (approx. 1 1/4 cup each)
Prep Time: 20 min.
Cooking Time: 26 min.
Container Equivalents per serving: 2 Green, 1 Red, 1/2 Purple, 1 Tsp
1 tsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 medium jalapeno peppers, seeds & finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 lb. raw ground 93% lean turkey breast
1 tsp. ground chipotle chili powder (or 1 1/2 tsp. chili powder)
1 tsp. dried Mexican oregano leaves
1 dash sea salt
1 1/2 cups Grandma's Tomato Sauce (recipe also in FIXATE)
3 tbsp. all natural tomato pasta, no salt added
1. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat.
2. Add onion and peppers, cook, stirring often for about 4-5 minuts, or until onion is translucent.
3. Add garlic, cook, stirring often for 1 minute. Transfer onion mixture to a medium bowl, set aside.
4. Add turkey to the same skillet, cook over medium heat, stirring often to break up the turkey, for 8-10 minutes or until the turkey is no longer pink.
5. Season with chili powder, oregano and salt.
6. Add onion mixture, tomato paste and Grandma's Tomato Sauce. Mix well. Reduce heat to medium-low, gently boil stirring often, for 8-10 minutes, or until most of the liquid evaporates.
(For one serving of taco meat)
Serve with 2 corn tortillas, 1 cup shredded lettuce and 2 tbsp. Homemade Salsa (recipe also in FIXATE)
Containers: 2 green, 1 yellow, 1 red, 1/2 purple, 1 tbsp
Serve over 1 cup Zoodles (recipe also in FIXATE)
Containers: 3 1/2 green, 1 red, 1/2 purple, 1 tbsp
Serve over 1 cup cooked quinoa
Containers: 2 green, 2 yellow, 1 red, 1/2 purple, 1 tbsp
Serve inside 2 large romaine lettuce leaves
Containers: 3 green, 1 red, 1/2 purple, 1 tbsp