Search This Blog

Wednesday 4 January 2017

Buffalo Chicken Lunch Bowl



We are back on track this week after the holidays with our workout calendar in hand and meal prepped for the week!!  On Monday I made a Blueberry Almond Baked Oatmeal which gave us breakfast for each work week morning and I also prepped everything for this beautiful Buffalo Chicken Bowl.  

I made the Buffalo Chicken in the Slow cooker late in the afternoon by adding 4 chicken breasts into he crockpot with 1 cup of Franks Buffalo Sauce (not just the hot sauce it's gotta be Buffalo wing sauce).  Then once the breasts were cooked (about 2.5 hours) I shredded them using my kitchen aid stand mixer.  I can't tell you how much I hate shredding chicken with forks and I usually make my hubby do that job.  But I learned about this method some time ago so tried it  and was blown away!!  So I did it again and within less than a minute the chicken breasts were perfectly shredded.  I threw in some of the buffalo sauce from the bottom of the crock pot and it was done and ready for the week!  





While the chicken was cooking I chopped up the veggies for the salad portion of this dish.  I used tomatoes, peppers, avocado, black beans and corn.  You could add anything you have on hand to mix it up which makes this salad super versatile.  

Because I'm following the 21 day fix I was conscious of how much corn and beans were going into this dish since lunch for me is usually carb free since I only get two carbs with the container count category I'm in.  I chose to add more veggies to mine and less corn and beans but you choose what you like and how much. 




When I was ready to eat this tasty looking salad I warmed up the chicken (you could just eat it cold if you prefer) served up about 1 1/4 cups of salad and then topped it with chicken and drizzled homemade ranch dressing on top!  SO SO EASY!!  

I can tell you I wasn't 100% sure how good this lunch would be but when I took he first bite I was so pleasantly surprised!!  I'm really in love with this lunch and I know it will be in my usual meal prep lunch rotation! It will give me a healthy lunch for at least 3-4 days and Gord is taking the chicken in wraps all week too!



Buffalo Chicken Lunch Bowl 


Yields 4-5 servings
21 Day Fix approved: 1 Yellow, 1 Red, 1/2 Blue, 1 Green

Ingredients

1 can organic corn
1 can organic black beans
1 orange pepper
1 avocado
2 tomatoes
4 chicken breasts
1 cup Franks Red Hot Buffalo Sauce

Homemade Ranch Dressing
1/8 cup Ranch Dressing Mix
1 1/3 cups plain Greek yogurt
3 tablespoons milk (I used whole milk)

Directions

Throw the chicken and hot sauce into the crockpot and cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 3 hours. Once chicken is cooked through, shred it with 2 forks and set aside.OR throw all the cooked chicken breasts into a stand mixer and shred by mixing on medium for 30 seconds to 1 minute.  Check out the Video below to see how much easier it is. 




In a separate bowl, mix together the Ranch Dressing mix, Greek yogurt, and milk then stick it in the fridge.

Next, drain and rinse your corn and black beans and add them to a bowl. Dice up the tomatoes, pepper and avocado and add them to the bowl as well.

Assemble your bowl by adding in the veggie mixture, topping with chicken, and finishing them off with some homemade Greek yogurt ranch dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Find me on Social