Search This Blog

Monday 12 September 2016

Hemp seed Cinnamon Roll muffins



Hemp seed Cinnamon Roll muffins!

Breakfast on the weekends is fun for me, I love creating something new and yummy for the boys!  On Sunday I really wanted to make them cinnamon buns but I hadn't thought ahead to make the dough over night in the bread machine and I really didn't want to wait all morning for a fresh batch of dough to rise so I made these Cinnamon Roll muffins. The original recipe called for chopped pecans or walnuts in the topping but I was clean out of nuts so I decided to try using hemp seeds.  

I have a huge bag of hemp seeds from Costco so I figured it would be a great way to use them up plus add a whole lot of nutrition to these tasty little muffins!  

I wasn't sure how they would taste with the hemp seeds in place of pecans but I was pleasantly surprised. I even made a healthier version of the icing to top them with and the boys went wild to see icing on them!

Hemp Seed Cinnamon Roll Muffins

Ingredients

2 cups whole wheat flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon sea salt
¼ cup honey
3 tablespoons softened coconut oil
1 egg
1 cup almond milk

Topping and Filling

1 cup coconut palm sugar, loosely packed
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1½ cups ground hemp seeds
3 tablespoons coconut oil

Frosting

1/4 cup cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
Splash of vanilla

Instructions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Generously grease a standard 12 cup muffin tin or line with muffin cups.
In a large bowl, sift together the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients until well combined. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the egg mixture, stirring only until just combined.
Combine all the topping/filling ingredients. Gently fold half of the mixture into the muffin batter.
Spoon the muffin batter, about ¼ cup, into each muffin tin. Top with remaining hemp seed mixture. Bake at 400 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes, or until muffins spring back when pressed lightly. Remove from oven. Cool slightly, then transfer carefully to a wire rack.
Blend together all of the frosting ingredients. Drizzle over the top of the muffins and enjoy!!

Recipe Modified from Some the Wiser

No comments:

Post a Comment

Find me on Social