Search This Blog

Tuesday 26 January 2016

Fabulous Fish Taco Bowls


This was one of the best dinners I've had in a long time!  It was flavorful, filling and yet light all at once! 

The original recipe I found that inspired this dish used brown rice, but I decided to use Cauliflower rice for a change which also allowed me to use one less yellow container (21 Day fix meal plan "yellow container is a carb)!

I made mine with Halibut and Gord had chicken as did the boys.  The best part about a dinner like this is that the boys love to add their own toppings!  So I set it up for them to make their own burrito bowl and they just loved it.

As for my dinner, I simply coated the Halibut filet with cumin and chili powder with a dash of sea salt and cooked it in a frying pan for a few minutes on each side.  Remove it from the pan and let it sit. 



To the pan I added a mixture of red peppers, onions and black beans for the filling and simple heated them until tender and slightly golden brown.  


I cooked the cauliflower rice in a separate pan with a drizzle of olive oil and sprinkle of sea salt. It doesn't take long to cook at all which is wonderful.  For my full tutorial on how to make Cauliflower rice, click here!

I know cauliflower has been quite pricey lately, but I was able to find a head of cauliflower for 3.29 at our local store!  I think they were advertising that their cauliflower was cheap to draw people in since last week it was 10.99!!!!  Insane!

I got home from the grocery store and got to work making up cauliflower rice to have in the fridge for the week.  It's so easy to do and I love how fast it is to cook compared to regular rice.

Asher had his Taekwondo progress check so when we got back home I got to work making our burrito bowls before Gord went to his class.  On Monday's I have about an hour to make dinner and feed everyone!  It was so nice to be able to make the cauliflower rice quickly in between everything else.  Although I still had to wait for the boys rice to cook since I didn't have enough Cauliflower rice for everyone!

In future I'm planning to make more for the week and use it in place of rice on busy week nights!  Love it!



Fabulous Fish Taco Bowls


Ingredients


1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin
2 Halibut Filets (or other white fish of your choice)
1-2 cloves minced garlic
1 red onion, diced
1 red pepper, diced
1 can black beans
2 cups Cauliflower Rice
fresh cilantro, avocado, shredded cheese or sour cream for topping

Directions


Mix the spices together in a small bowl and sprinkle evenly over both sides of the fish filets. Rub onto fish.

Add salt and pepper to taste.

In a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat, heat a drizzle of olive oil. Add the garlic and saute for 1-2 minutes.

Add the fish filets to the pan. Grill the fish on each side for several minutes, checking the middle for doneness (fish should be completely white and flake apart easily). Remove fish filets and set aside.

Add red peppers, and onions to the pan. Heat over high heat for several minutes WITHOUT stirring to get a brown roasted look on the outside. 

Let cook and stir until the peppers and onions are tender-crisp. Add the black beans and heat through.

Cook Cauliflower rice in small pan until done.  For instructions on Cauliflower rice click here.

Layer cauliflower rice, pepper mixture, and fish in a bowl - or mix everything together in the skillet. Top with any of the toppings listed above!

Recipe adapted from Pinch of Yum

Shakeology Boosts

No comments:

Post a Comment

Find me on Social