Search This Blog

Tuesday 15 September 2015

Battle of the Pumpkin Scones


 Well I have a guilty pleasure of going for coffee with my co-workers in the mornings that I'm in the office and last week I saw that they released the Pumpkin Scone but it looks WAY different than it used to...


Pumpkin Scone VS. 

The photo doesn't do it justice... anyways the new one is a flat square coated with white icing!  Looks pretty gross to me!  

If you have been following me for some time you will know that I love to bake and have made many healthy muffins and scones.  The Pumpkin scone is no exception.  I've been making my own version for years and this time of year always gets me into the mood for a hot cup of tea and a pumpkin scone! But after seeing this icing coated blob of a pumpkin scone at starbucks it got me wondering how my scone compares to theirs nutritionally.  

Maybe I should do a taste test too!

First let me say that the Nutritional Facts table doesn't give you the FULL STORY!  So while I'm going to do a comparison here for those who like that sort of thing, the INGREDIENTS LIST is really where the info is when your eating for a healthy lifestyle!  For example Fat isn't all equal.  I used a Recipe Calories Calculator website to do the comparison for this blog post and because I sometimes use coconut oil for the recipe I entered both versions of the recipe and the fat content in the nutrition facts went up when using coconut oil which is a very healthy fat!

So lets do a little comparison of the current Starbucks Pumpkin Scone  to my Homemade Copycat version!

Starbucks Pumpkin Scone


Ingredients:  icing [sugar, glucose, palm oil, water, contains less than 2% of agar, citric acid, gums (xanthan, locust bean, guar), salt, vanilla extract], enriched flour [wheat flour, malted barley flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid], pumpkin, sugar, butter [cream, lactic acid], eggs, dry cream [cream, nonfat milk solids, sodium caseinate], palm oil, molasses, pumpkin powder [pumpkin, maltodextrin, corn flour, sunflower lecithin], tapioca starch-modified, cinnamon, salt, baking powder [sodium acid pyrophosphate, corn starch, sodium bicarbonate], natural flavor, baking soda, nutmeg, ginger, acacia gum, cloves, colors [carrot concentrate, apple concentrate, hibiscus concentrates, pumpkin concentrate].

Ingredients

4 cups Whole Wheat flour
2 TBSP baking powder
1 tsp Sea Salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp ginger
1 cup Butter or Coconut oil
1 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 cup Honey
1/2 cup whole milk
2 large eggs





Comparison of the two.... 

Using a Recipe Calorie count website I was able to do a comparison of my recipe to the Starbucks Pumpkin Scone. I only use about half of the icing the recipe called for so I just said 1/2 cup but if you really loaded it up there would be more sugar in them.  My recipe also makes 24 Scones.  

Starbucks Pumpkin Scone Homemade Pumpkin Scone
Calories 450 181
Fat 21 8.6
Calories from Fat 190 78
Saturated Fat 14 5.1
Cholesterol 60 36
Sodium 390 144
Potassium 0 245
Carbohydrate 64 24.7
Dietary Fiber 2 2.9
Sugar 41 9
Protein 4 3.6


Basically you could have 2+ of my homemade scones for everyone 1 of the Starbucks scones!  But more than that the ingredients in my scones like Honey and whole wheat flour vs. Enriched flour (enriched means that it's been stripped of all nutrition and has vitamins added back into it) and refined sugars make them a much more nutritious option.

There is also 4X more sugar in the Starbucks Pumpkin Scone (41g) compared to the Homemade version (9g)!!! And most of the sugar comes from Honey not refined sugar!  And if you leave the icing off it's even better(6.5g sugar)!







  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Find me on Social