Gord invited some friends over on Saturday to our place for a BBQ so I decided to put together a 7 layer dip and ended up with an extra layer making it an 8 layer dip! I haven't made 7 layer dip in years but I happened to have all the ingredients so it was an easy one to put together!
I learned how to make 7 layer dip when I was a teen working at our local Grocery Store Deli. not that it's difficult but the Taco Sauce is really what makes the Dip great in my opinion and I learned that trick there! Basically we would take a packet of taco seasoning and mix it with sour cream to make the taco sauce for the 7 layer dips the store sold. But for mine I just used a few scoops of my Homemade Taco Seasoning and it worked perfectly!
If you haven't tried making your own Taco Seasoning I highly recommend it. In our house we go through a lot of Taco Seasoning, so I found we always needed lots of packets on hand when I purchased it. And it seemed as though we were always out! So Gord and I started making our own and couldn't believe how EASY it was! Plus you are in control of how much Salt and other ingredients go into it. I just add all the spices into a Mason Jar, screw on a lid and give it a shake. Done!
Homemade 8 Layer Dip
Organic re-fried beans
Sliced black Olives
- Spread out re-fried beans to the bottom of a dish.
- Combine 1/2 cup sour cream with 2 TBSP Homemade Taco Seasoning to make Taco Sauce.
- Spread Taco Sauce on top of beans.
- Mash 1 avocado with 1 TBSP sour cream or Greek yogurt, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp Sea salt, 1/4 tsp curry powder. Mash together to make guacamole.
- Spread guacamole onto taco sauce and top with a layer of plain sour cream.
- Top with chopped tomatoes, sliced black olives, chives and grated cheese.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
|Taco Sauce using Homemade Taco Seasoning and Sour Cream!|