Search This Blog

Monday 29 June 2015

Southwestern Sweet Potato Breakfast Skillet



I made this yummy breakfast on Sunday Morning and Gord and I both loved it!  I over cooked the eggs slightly but next time I'll know to take it out sooner!  The recipe did use up 1.5 of my Yellow containers for the day which leaves me only .5 yellow left for the day but it was worth it!  In the future I would probably swap the black beans for corn which would add a green container to my count and reduce the yellow containers by 1/2!  

Try it out!  I hope you enjoy!

Southwestern Sweet Potato Breakfast Skillet

Serves 2
21 Day Fix Portions: 1.5 Yellow, 1 Red, 1 Blue

Ingredients:

1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced or 1 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tsp cumin
1 large sweet potatoe, peeled and chopped or bag of frozen Sweet Potatoes cubed (if doing the 21 day fix measure our two containers of Sweet Potatoes)
1/2 cup black beans/corn or both, canned or homemade (1 Yellow Container)
3/4 tsp Hymalian sea salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 cup shredded Old cheddar cheese (2 Blue Containers)
4 eggs (counts as 2 Red Containers)


Directions:

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the onion and saute for about six minutes until tender. Add cumin and toss well. Add garlic,sweet potatoes and black beans and or Corn, then reduce heat to low, cover skillet and let cook for about 20-25 minutes until sweet potatoes are tender. 


I used black beans as I didn't have any corn on hand but both would be awesome and I would have added corn to it if I'd had some.  If your doing the 21 day fix you may want to leave out the black beans (yellow container) and just use corn.  
Check every five minutes or so to make sure the potatoes aren’t sticking to the bottom of the pan. You can add a little water if mixture seems too dry.
I added a touch of water at the end (before adding in the cheese) to make sure the spices were well mixed and didn't stick to the potatoes or not enough on others. 
Preheat broiler.

Add cayenne pepper and salt to sweet potato mixture then add cheese and stir over low heat until all the cheese has melted. I transferred my hash mixture into a casserole dish before cracking the eggs on top because my Cast iron pans are in the trailer for camping! But if your are using a cast iron frying pan or other oven friendly pan and just crack 4 eggs on top of mixture then transfer to the oven and broil on high for 3-5 minutes until eggs are cooked through. 

Before I cooked the eggs, hubby was so confused at what I
was up to cracking eggs on top of the hash. 

I think I overcooked our eggs slightly but 2 of them were
still runny in the center.  Next time I'll take them out
sooner!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Find me on Social