Search This Blog

Thursday 23 April 2015

Finally Healthy Honey Frosting


Banana Bread Bars with Healthy Honey Frosting

I have FOREVER been searching for a Healthy Frosting Recipe.  There are so many ways to make cakes, cupcakes, scones and muffins healthy but what is frusterating is that icing typically calls for icing SUGAR.  One thing I hate including in my baking is processed sugar.  I usually use only Honey or Maple Syrup. 

But I finally found one and modified it to what I had on hand so here you go! 

Finally Healthy Honey Frosting Recipe

Ingredients

    1/2 cup Almond milk
    1/2 cup honey
    pinch celtic sea salt
    3 teaspoons arrowroot powder or Corn Starch
    1/2 tablespoon water
    3/4 cup coconut oil

Instructions

  •  In a medium saucepan, heat Almond milk, honey and salt, simmer for 10 minutes
  • In a small bowl, combine arrowroot and water to form a smooth paste
  • Pour arrowroot mixture into saucepan
  • Whisk vigorously to combine, then bring to a boil, briefly, until shiny
  • Remove pot from heat and very gradually blend in coconut oil with a hand blender

Healthy Honey Frosting

  • Allow pot to cool for 10 minutes
  • Place pot in refrigerator for 45-120 minutes, until frosting solidifies and turns white
  • Remove from refrigerator and blend again with a hand blender, until fluffy
  • Spread over cake or cupcakes
Healthy Honey Frosting


I used this recipe on my Banana Bread Bars, which have historically called for a Brown Butter Frosting.  I tend to skip past this recipe in my book because I dislike using frosting on an otherwise healthy bar.  But in this case I feel good about the whole recipe!


Banana Bread Bars with Healthy Honey Frosting


No comments:

Post a Comment

Find me on Social