Search This Blog

Friday 22 August 2014

Peach Pie Bars


Peach pie is a big treat around here and it's peach season so I picked up a huge box full of peaches to freeze for winter to put in my shake or use for recipes. 
We are leaving for camping tonight and though I have been busy slicing and freezing peaches for the last few days I still have a half box to use up before we go! 
I made a peach crumble the other day which only had a small amount of coconut palm sugar in the crumble so I've felt pretty ok about enjoying that as a nice evening snack. But I'm still wanting that peach pie! 
I just don't have the time to make one before we go with packing for camping. So I decided to try a peach pie bar instead.
It totally satisfied that peach pie craving because the base crust tastes like pie crust.  BUT it's pretty quick to throw together and much less work than an actual pie!
Ingredients
Crust:
  • 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
  • ½ cup Cold Butter
  • ½ teaspoon Sea Salt
  • 1 Tablespoon Cold Water



Filling:
  • 4-6 cups FRESH PEACHES, peeled, pitted and sliced
  • 1/3 cup Honey
  • 3 Tablespoons CORNSTARCH
  • 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract



Streusel Topping:
  • ¾ cup Whole Wheat Flour
  • ¼ cup Coconut Palm Sugar
  • 1 teaspoon Cinnamon or Cardamon 
  • ¼ teaspoon Sea Salt
  • 1/4 cup melted Butter



  • Instructions
    1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a 8x8 baking pan.
    2. In a food processor, pulse together crust ingredients to form a dough. Press into the bottom of prepared pan.
    3. In a medium bowl, stir together peach slices, honey, cornstarch, lemon juice and vanilla. Pour peaches on top of crust.
    4. In a small bowl, combine streusel ingredients. Sprinkle on top of peaches.
    5. Bake for 50-55 minutes until the filling is bubbling and the streusel is golden. Cool completely before cutting into bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Find me on Social