Search This Blog

Tuesday 12 August 2014

Homemade Chicken and Vegetable stock


Beautiful golden homemade chicken stock.

Almost every time we roast a chicken I pull out our crock pot after the meal, plunk the carcass into the pot and fill it with water. 

I usually throw in some spices, garlic and onion or even some left over veggies. But this time it was simply the chicken and a large bay leaf. 

I don't recommend the bay leaf pieces because you'll never fish them all out of you soup or sock. Instead use a whole bay leaf and whatever other spices you like. 

Let it simmer on high overnight and into the next day.

So easy to do! 

But how do you store all that stock once it's made? 


I personally like to freeze my stock into mason jars. Above is a photo of my freezer door shelf. I'm a little low right now as stock making in the summer isn't too appealing but today is a rainy day (through humid). 

I simply ladle the stock into jars, let cool, seal with lids and label. Then freeze. Be sure to leave a little room at the top for expansion. 

I can take one out of the freezer ahead of time if I am prepared and know I need if or it's easy to defrost in a sink full of hot water. 

Another option is to freeze the stock into ice cube trays so you can just pop out a few stock cubes as you need them. Just make sure you carefully mark them. My father in law once almost used some turkey stock cubes in his drink when he was over watching the kids!! 

Vegetable Stock

I also make vegetable stock which is practically free to make.  All you have to do is fill your crock pot full of water and while your cooking dinner throw your vegetable scraps into the pot. You can do this over the course of a few days. 

How do you know when it's ready? 
I let it simmer over night but after that, when your ready it's ready, no rush the more scraps that go in there the better! 

This is great if your on a budget. Vegetable and chicken stock purchased in the store is easily $3 for about 2 cups but you can make your own using items that you would throw out anyways! 

Stay tuned for homemade beef stock! I'm going to attempt making beef stock from the bones we got from the butcher when we purchased a half grassfed cow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Find me on Social