Search This Blog

Tuesday 27 May 2014

Cranberry Coconut Granola




I love making granola. It is fun to throw a bunch of stuff in a bowl and mix it up with local honey, organic coconut oil and homemade apple sauce!  The result after it has been baked slowly for several hours is amazing!  I love it!  I don't buy cereal for my family unless it's wheat puffs, cheerios or something with no sugar or crap in it ;)

Plus Granola is awesome on Greek Yogurt with Fruit! Especially raspberries!

Basically the base for my granola is oats, dried fruit, nuts, seeds, cinnamon, flour and then a mixture of honey, coconut oil and apple sauce. But I like to add whatever sounds good at the time or if Asher is helping, whatever he thinks sounds good!



So here is the recipe I used today:

Dry Mixture:
6 cups oats
1 1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 cup coconut
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/8 cup chia seeds
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup dried apples
1/4 cup flour (optional but it makes the clusters)

Wet mixture:
2/3 cup honey
1/2 cup coconut oil
2/3 cup apple sauce

Toss the dry mixture together in a large bowl.  Then mix the wet mixture in a 2-4 cup measuring cup and stir ingredients together until the coconut oil has been chopped up.

Now mix the wet mixture into the dry and blend the two together until there aren't any dusty parts and everything looks coated.  If you find that you still have a dusty looking mixture, just add in a bit more apple sauce.  I never measure anything when I'm making granola so the measurements above are by eye but I'm pretty good at eyeballing measurements!  

Now spread your mixture onto two baking sheets lined with parchment paper and bake at 250 degrees for about 2 hours.  Or until it starts to go golden brown and dries out.


Let it cool and then store in an air tight container.  It stores really well and will last up to and even longer than a month!


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Find me on Social