Search This Blog

Friday 26 August 2016

12 Easy Ways to get your 10,000 steps in


So many of us have fitness trackers now, it's really a huge and common thing to have one!  I have had a fitbit for 2 years and upgraded to a fitbit Charge HR a little over a year ago so that I could monitor my heart rate during workouts as steps aren't always tracked well with programs like PiYo or went lifting weights in Hammer and Chisel. I love it and with the updates it just gets better and better for keeping me motivated to get up from my desk and move more consistently through the day.  



Lately I've been following the Country Heat program and I've gotta tell you I seriously rack up the steps when I'm doing that 30 minute workout! So even on days when I'm not as good with getting up and walking consistently through the day I usually hit my 10,000 steps very easily once I've done my workout.  And gosh is it a ton more fun that standing in place walking at the end of the night trying to meet my goal or pass someone else in one of the challenges!  *wink wink



Here are 12 easy ways you can get more steps each day 

1. Get a dog. Nothing will get you out of the house faster than a puppy that needs to do some business. If you have a dog like ours however you might find yourself dragging him or her out of the house!  Our little wiener dog isn't and eager walker but once she is out on the leash she is a great partner. 
2. Take the stairs. At work, at the mall, at the train station, anywhere. If you wear a fitness tracker, like the Fitbit Charge HR I have you’ll score both steps and flights.
3. Take a moving break. During your lunch break, go on a 15-minute walk around the block. Not only will you get your steps in, but you may feel more focused at work. And remember to get up frequently during the day, not just at lunch. I know my fitness tracker now encourages me to get 250 steps per hour for 9 hours of the day. 
4. Park far away. Every couple of hundred steps walking to or from your car adds up quickly. Heading to Target?  Park as far away as you can, not only will the spot be easier to pull into but if you park at the back of the parking lot, you’ll help save your car from dings and dents too.

5. Take the long way. When you’re at work and need to go to the restroom, skip the closest one and take a detour. Hit the stairs and use one on a different floor, or just take the longest route there. The same goes for doing errands (on foot) or strolling to a friend’s house.
6. Get off the bus or train one (or two) stops early. If you take the bus why not get off a few stops early, log a few extra steps and enjoy some fresh air. 
7. Play with your kids. Hide and seek or a game of Tag can take a lot of steps and be a lot of fun too!



8. Walk and talk. Take your business calls on the go, or skip the conference room and have walking meetings with your colleagues.
9. Don’t fast forward your DVR. The next time you binge-watch “The Walking Dead,” don’t fast forward through the commercials. Stand up and march in place or pick stuff up around the house until the zombies get walking again.
10. Drink up. All of those trips to the water cooler at work—and the restroom—will make a big dent in your day’s step total.
11. Go on a walking date. It’s a kind of a throwback, but there’s something charming about taking a stroll, especially a sunset one, with your hubby!  Gord and I go for walk dates at lunch time most days and it's a great way to catch up and make plans for the rest of the day or week too!
12. Take extra trips. When unloading grocery bags from the car or carrying laundry to the bedroom, it’s tempting to try to take as few trips as possible. Instead, try taking one more trip than you absolutely have to.
Which one of the above tips will you implement today?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Find me on Social