Search This Blog

Wednesday 9 September 2015

Zucchini Lasagne



I made this yummy dinner the other night knowing that my husband would scrunch his nose up about it... BUT I had to try making Zucchini Lasagna and I still had a few huge zucchini's on my counter!  

I would make a educated guess that the 21 Day fix containers for one slice would be 1 Red, 1 Green and 1 Blue (maybe more than one blue but shhh...).  There is quite a bit of cheese layered in this dish but considering there are no lasagne noodles I figure it all works out plus I love cheese :)  

Once my hubby had taken a few bites I asked him what he thought and he seemed to think it wasn't as bad as he figured it would be but suggested I peel the zucchini next time as it was a bit tough.  Later that night he actually told my cousin that is was GOOD!  So I'd say it was a WIN!  Maybe not his favorite meal but he will eat it and like it which is good enough for me. 


Zucchini Lasagna Recipe


Ingredients


  • 1 lb lean ground beef
  • 1 Jar Grandma's Tomato Sauce (Fixate Cookbook, see Recipe Below)
  • 3 medium zucchini, sliced 1/8" thick
  • 15 oz ricotta
  • 16 oz  mozzarella cheese, shredded
  • 1/4 cup Parmigiano Reggiano
  • 1 large egg

Directions

In a medium Frying pan, brown meat. When cooked add in Tomato Sauce and let simmer on low. 

Meanwhile, slice zucchini into 1/8" thick slices, add lightly salt and set aside or 10 minutes. Zucchini has a lot of water when cooked, salting it takes out a lot of moisture. After 10 minutes, blot excess moisture with a paper towel.

On a  grill pan, grill zucchini on each side, until cooked, about 1-2 minutes per side. 

Preheat oven to 350°.

In a medium bowl mix ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese and egg. Stir well. Add Sea Salt and ground pepper to taste. 


In a 9x12 casserole dish, spread some sauce on the bottom and layer the zucchini to cover. Then place some of the ricotta cheese mixture, then top with the mozzarella cheese and repeat the process until all your ingredients are used up. I had enough meat and sauce for two layers so my last layer was ricotta and Mozzarella but if you have enough sauce your last layer could be sauce and mozzarella. Cover with foil. 

Bake 45 minutes covered at 375°, then uncovered 15 minutes. Let stand about 5 - 10 minutes before serving.


Grilled Zucchini

Grandma's Tomato Sauce Recipe

I made a bunch of big batches of this tomato sauce a few weeks ago and canned it to preserve and have over the winter.  So I just opened up on Jar to use for my Lasagne.  Here is the Recipe. 
21 Day Fix Servings:  12 (1/2 cup each)       3 greens  1/2 tsp
Prep Time: 40 min
Cooking Time: 1 hr  15 min

Ingredients

2 Tbsp olive oil
1 med onion, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 (6 oz can) tomato paste, no salt added
1/4 cup red wine
2 cans (28 oz each) whole peeled tomatoes [like San Marzano or Cento} crushed or pureed in a blender
2 Tbsp agave nectar or Honey
1 tsp sea salt
1/4  tsp ground black pepper
1 (3 oz) Parmesan (or parmigiano) cheese rind
3 Tbsp finely chopped fresh basil
 

Directions

1.  Heat oil in large saucepan over me-high heat
2.  Add onion; cook, stirring frequently, for 5-6 min or until onion is translucent
3.  Add garlic and tomato paste; cook, stirring constantly for 2-3 min.  Do not let tomato paste burn. 
4.  Add wine;  stirring constantly for 2-3 min. 
5.  Add tomatoes, agave, salt, and pepper.  Bring to boil,  stirring frequently.  Reduce heat to low; gently boil, stirring occasionally, for 3 min.
6.  Add cheese rind; cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.
7.  add basil, mix well. 

*The parmigiano rind is not totally necessary, but it is a great way to add depth to the sauce without much by way of extra calories.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Find me on Social