Search This Blog

Tuesday 6 January 2015

Fail Proof Play-dough Recipe



Yesterday I made up a batch of Play-Dough for Asher's Kindergarden class.  It's such an easy recipe to put together as long as you have Cream of Tartar!  Luckily I knew I had some in the cupboard, BUT I didn't have quite enough for a full batch so I ran to the store quickly to grab some..... WELL geez, it's not an easy item to find even when you know what your looking for!  But I did end up locating some.  

The other ingredient that I don't typically have on hand is white flour, since I don't use white flour in any of my cooking or baking.  But luckily I had purchased some for Gord's Christmas Shortbread and have some left over.  

So once I got more Cream of Tartar I was all set to go!  

Fail Proof Play-Dough Recipe

Ingredients


  • 2 Cups of Flour
  • 2 Tbsp of Oil (any oil will do, coconut oil, vegetable oil, even olive oil)
  • 1/2 Cup of Salt
  • 2 Tbsp Cream of Tartar
  • 1 1/2 Cup Boiling Water

Play-dough making directions

  • Pour 2 cups of flour into a bowl.
  • Add 1/2 cup of salt.
  • Mix in 2 Tbsp Cream of Tartar. (You can find this in the spice/baking section of just about any grocery store)
Stir oil into flour mixture. 
  • Add 2 Tbsp of oil. For this recipe I used olive oil, but you can use any oil, and as long as it’s a kitchen oil, your playdough will be non-toxic and safe if your little one takes a tiny taste.  However it will be a pretty salty snack!

Stir with a wooden spoon until it comes together.
Then carefully use your hands to form a ball. 
  • Pour in the boiling water. Be VERY careful because this makes the dough HOT!

  • Mix all the ingredients together until they form the dough. At this point, if you don’t want to add any food dye to your playdough, you’re finished!





  • After it’s cooled, to make several different colors of playdough, separate the dough into equal parts and roll it up into balls.
I made 5 small balls for multi cloured
Play-Dough. 
  • Now, make a little dip in the middle of the ball to leave a little bowl for you to pour your food dye into. I didn't do this and mine ran off the edge.  
  • Drip your dye into the dough bowls. This is a great time to mix dye colors if you want to make another color.
Half way through mixing you may need to add more dye.
  • Knead the dough until the dye is thoroughly mixed. This is VERY messy! If you don’t want to stain your hands, use gloves, and make sure to put something down so you don’t stain your counter. I used a cookie sheet and then once mixed well I kneaded it on the counter. 

Here is our Multi-Coloured Play-dough!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Find me on Social