Search This Blog

Sunday 14 December 2014

Easy Caramel Popcorn


Yes this is totally a treat and off the diet for sure!  But I'm busy doing my Christmas baking for gifts today and I had to share this recipe because it's easy, tasty and makes a great Christmas gift!

I made two batches today and only ate a few kernels, packaged up the rest and saved a small amount for later..... only because I didn't have another container for it to give the rest away!

So here it is, my Easy Caramel Popcorn Recipe.

1/2 cup water
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup buter
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda

Method:

Add water and sugar into a large pot.  Stir just to combine and then don't stir again until I say. 

On medium high heat, wait until the water boils out and sugar starts to brown.  This takes a long time, but keep an eye on it and have you butter ready as well as your vanilla and baking soda for when it starts to brown. 

Once the sugar starts to really brown... try to wait a few more seconds before you add the butter.  You don't want to jump too soon and not have a nice brown caramel.  But you also don't want to burn it.... so be ready but also be patient! 
Almost ready here...

While this is bubbling, pop your popcorn.  I like to use a brown paper bag and about a 1/2 cup of popcorn kernels in the microwave for about 2 1/2 minutes.  Works like a charm!

Once the sugar starts to brown, stir butter into the sugar mixture. Once melted add in the vanilla and baking soda to puff it up.  Now add your caramel to the popcorn.
Ok add that butter!
I did mine in two batches and then gave them a good stir to mix the caramel as evenly as possible.  Next you will place popcorn on a parchment lined baking sheet to cool and harden.  
YUM!  Stir that caramel into the popcorn

It won't take long before you can test it and even package it up!  
I found this awesome packaging at Target this year!
Packaging can be hard to find and pricey too, so I
was pretty happy to find these at Target this year. 

*Tip: to clean your spoon, pot and bowl I like to boil water in my pot after use and add my spoon too.  This loosens all the caramel that has hardened on it.  Then I dump the hot water into my bowl to soak for a while.  Then wash!  No scrubbing off hardened caramel!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Find me on Social