Search This Blog

Monday 17 November 2014

Healthier Peanut butter cups


Who doesn't love Reece peanut butter cups?

Well for years I loved them and every holiday (Easter being the worst) I would eat way too many peanut butter cups. 

But when I have up all processed foods, that meant cheap chocolate bars too. Now I love to have a piece or two of dark chocolate and really don't miss cheap milk chocolate at all! In fact in the few times I've had another Reece cup I've been really disappointed and in satisfied from it. 

I got these awesome silicon baking cups last year and all my muffins came out of them so easily that I decided to try making my own peanut butter cups in them with Dark chocolate and my homemade peanut butter! 

I hit the jackpot!! 

Sweet and salty and no guilt! 

The only problem is that depending on how thick or thin my current peanut butter is, once you bite into the cup the tend to crack and spew peanut butter which can make them a bit messy! 

Messy but oh so good! 

I wanted to make up some peanut butter cups today since I was already baking so I decided to play around with the recipe a little and add some coconut oil to the chocolate and to the peanut butter to make hopefully help it stay together a little better when eaten!

What you'll need:

For the Chocolate:
1 cup Organic Dark Chocolate chips
1 TBSP Coconut Oil

For the Peanut Butter filling:
1 Cup Homemade Peanut Butter or Natural peanut butter 
2 TBSP Honey
1 TBSP Coconut Oil

Directions:

First melt the Chocolate chips with the coconut oil and stir until it is smooth. 

Then combine peanut butter, honey and coconut oil in a bowl and warm in the microwave for about 30 seconds to get everything softened.  Stir together and set aside. 


Next you will put about a spoonful and a half of the chocolate into the bottom of each silicon cup and swirl it to come up the sides about half way. 

Follow with a scoop of the peanut butter mixture and another scoop of chocolate. 



yum!  Peanut butter filling going in

Now for the final touch.  A little more chocolate!

Put on a small tray and refrigerate for several hours or until the chocolate has hardened.  

Then just pop them out of the silicon cups and enjoy!

Adding the coconut oil to them really did help reduce their messiness, and made them easier to enjoy!

These bad boys are so tasty and a nice little cheat day treat.  But they are still a treat even if they are made with great ingredients!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Find me on Social