Search This Blog

Wednesday 6 August 2014

Tangy Lemon Bar


I love lemon bars but I'm pretty particular about them.  I sought out yesterday afternoon to play around with creating a Healthy Lemon Bar recipe, figuring that it would take several tries before it tasted any good.

Asher and I got busy making the crust, then the filling and he waited patiently to try the finished product once out of the oven and cooling.  Instead of processed white sugar, we used organic cane sugar for the crust and honey for the filling.  We also used whole wheat flour for the crust.

When I tried it I was truly expecting that I would need to tweak it and try again but I was surprised that it was just right for my personal lemon bar preferences.

Now my Father in Law absolutely loves lemon bars and lemon meringue pie as well, so we took a piece over to him and here is what he had to say via text:

Him "Lemon bar is fantastically lemony"
Me: "lol it's tangy! I like it that way tho!"
Him: "Me too! And great base. Not soggy. Good job!!!"

I'll take that as a win!

This is the recipe we used for our Tangy Lemon Bars.

Lemon Bar Crust

1/2 cup butter
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup cane sugar
1 TBSP Corn Starch
Pinch of sea salt

Mix all ingredients with the food processor until it's crumbly and coming together.  Then press into a square 8x8 inch pan with a piece of wax paper.  Or get your little helper to do that job for you!


Bake the crust at 350 for about 15 minutes.

While the crust bakes you can prepare the filling for your lemon bars.

Lemon Bar Filling

4 eggs
1 1/2 cups honey
Zest of one Large Lemon or 2 small lemons
1/2 - 1 cup lemon juice or the zest of two Large or 4 small lemons
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 TBSP Corn Starch

Wisk the honey and the eggs together until you can't feel the honey sticking to the bottom any more.  Then grate your lemon rind into the mixture and add the lemon juice.  Wisk in the Vanilla extract and corn starch making sure you whisk until the corn starch isn't lumpy, you don't want white spots on the top of your lemon bar.


Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes or until the sides of the lemon bar start to turn golden brown and the middle starts to thicken.

Take your lemon bar out of the oven to cool, and sprinkle with a little icing sugar is you like. Once it reaches room temperature you can either eat it at room temperature or chill in the refrigerator.

I preferred them chilled to room temperature.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Find me on Social